Fitness tips: more exercise in everyday life
The standard recommendations of 150 minutes of moderate or 75 minutes of strenuous physical activity per week are only achieved by about 10-20% of adults in Germany. Physical inactivity, e.g. long periods of sitting, is now considered a significant risk factor for health and has similar damaging effects to your wellbeing as smoking. But there is also good news.
In comparison to those who do not exercise at all, people with a weekly energy consumption of 500 kcal per week have proved to have more health benefits. Due to the increasing demands of work and everyday life, it is proving difficult for many people to find time for exercise. However, it does not necessarily require hours of sweat-inducing exercise. Just 15 minutes of moderate (without panting) physical activity a day can achieve the required energy consumption and thus increase quality of life and life expectancy. According to this, about two hours of walking per week would already be sufficient, although this can also be achieved in smaller stages.
The Muscular Miracle
In addition to endurance-related activities such as running or cycling, muscle training with your own body weight, on machines or with the help of fitness bands or similar equipment also proves effective. In addition to the positive effects of training your muscles, it has been known for some years that muscles under intensive stress produce hormone-like substances, called myokines, which play a key role in the regulation of the immune system. The more often the muscles are trained the more myokines are released. Physical activity can therefore be an effective protection against chronic diseases.
Promoting physical activity - reducing physical inactivity
In addition to consciously integrating movement into everyday life, it is also important to avoid long periods of sitting. It is obvious that a few minutes of movement a day cannot compensate for the remaining hours of sitting.
Although a physically inactive lifestyle is now a fixed part of everyday life for many people in our society, there are ways to promote health with little effort and at the same time reduce health risks. That is why you should make sure that you regularly interrupt inactive periods with fixed periods of movement.
Tips and tricks for an active everyday life
Below are a few tips that can help you to keep and implement exercise:
- Do not leave the trash can and printer directly at your desk.
- Stand up quietly when making a phone call.
- Consciously park the car 5-10 minutes away from the workplace to increase the daily number of steps.
- Instead of calling your colleagues, go to their office. They will be happy to see you!
- Short breaks are an effective way to interrupt long periods of sitting. Stand up briefly, jog on the spot or stretch your arms in the air. In this way you can clear your head and feel more awake.
- Walk more often or use a bicycle for familiar routes, e.g. to work or to the supermarket during your lunch break.
- Set yourself concrete movement goals: "Today I'll take 5,000 steps!”