Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
For the dough:
- 400 g carrots (finely grated)
- 250 g ground almonds
- 200 g ground hazelnuts
- 5 eggs
- 200 g sugar (brown sugar preferred)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 50 ml oil
- 1 sachet baking powder
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
For the cream:
- 350 g cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons cream
- 125 g powdered sugar
- Marzipan carrots for decorating; bought ready-made or you can also make them yourself from marzipan and green and orange food coloring
How to make:
- Preheat the oven and grease the pan and dust with a little flour. Wash, peel and finely grate the carrots. Mix together the grated carrots, ground almonds and ground hazelnuts and the baking powder.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until foamy. Stir in the lemon juice, oil, vanilla sugar, the pinch of cinnamon and the carrot mixture. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites so that the mixture still remains fluffy.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan and smooth it out. Bake at 175 degrees for about 50 minutes.
- In the meantime, you can prepare the cream. Mix the cream cheese with the cream until smooth and then add the powdered sugar. Stir until the cream is firm to the touch.
- Allow the carrot cake to cool, spread with the cream and finally decorate with the marzipan carrots.